Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Updates (Mom #2, Baby Appt)

Mom Update #2:

Mom had a successful tracheotomy yesterday afternoon.  This allowed the doctors to remove the breathing tube from her mouth which has caused her quite a bit of discomfort since it was put in on Thursday.  Dad, Lori and I were able to see mom yesterday afternoon and she looked quite a bit better.  She still has a feeding tube down her nose, but at least now she can close her mouth.  She's been sedated for a while since she was trying to fight the tubes.  The doctor did mention that he'd like to put in a smaller trache tube in about a week which will minimize the scarring on her trachea.

Early this morning they lowered the sedation and took her off the ventilator for a while.  Dad has been up at the hospital most of the day and said she was able to breathe on her own for a few hours!  Good news to hear.  She's still on morphine among other drugs to keep her pain free and as comfortable as possible, so she's not back to the point where she can communicate with us again.

Baby Appt:

I had my 6th month appointment today (I'll be 24 weeks this Saturday).  I've gained 5 pounds this month and the doctor says that's right on target.  I'm measuring a few weeks ahead, but he thinks that this is just a growth spurt.  I need to get another picture on here of my belly.  It feels like it's getting bigger every day.

1 comment:

Devion said...

Hope things continue to improve. I know it must be scary! Hang in there and know that you've got people praying for you all!