Friday, June 6, 2008

Updates

Mom has made extraordinary improvements over the past few days.  Some of the nurses in the MICU are calling her a miracle!   See my sister's blog for the full update, Life is Golden.  I'll provide the Cliff Notes version below:

Mom was able to eat yesterday.  Her first meal include 2 cups of coffee, graham crackers, vanilla pudding and mushroom soup.  This morning they pulled her feeding tube out!  She's had tubes down her throat for the past two weeks, so I bet having only the trache feels so much better for her.  

The doctors are looking at capping the trache later to see how she can breathe on her own.  She may still have assisted oxygen (via the nose rather than the trache) but they'll have to see how she labors with it.  We're expecting mom to continue making baby steps, but she surprises us every day.  It would be so wonderful if mom could be home for her birthday on June 11th. 

Baby Update:
My "How big is baby" calendar is now going on months instead of weeks, so I haven't had anything to share for a while.  Kaden has been kicking on and off for the past few weeks.  I can already tell that he's got some characteristics from his parents - he'll stop kicking when someone puts their hand on my belly!

Month 6: Let your spouse put an ear to your belly -- he might be able to pick up baby's heartbeat (no stethoscope required). Inside the womb, the formation of tiny capillaries is giving baby a healthy pink glow. Baby's also soaking up your antibodies, getting the immune system ready for life outside the womb. Eyes are forming, and baby will soon perfect the blink -- perfect for batting those freshly grown lashes.  Average size: 13.6 to 14.8 in; 1.5 to 2.2 lbs

New Addition:
Amanda and Kurtis recently adopted a new puppy.  It's a miniture poodle named Toby.  He won't grow very big; max height 10 inches and max weight 7 pounds.  Good luck with the potty training!



4 comments:

Devion said...

We are still praying a lot for your mom. I know she's doing so much better and I praise God for that!!!

By the way, I've tagged you on my blog for a meme. It's the second one in my most recent post! Check it out!

Cousin Shawn said...

Jen, so glad to hear Annie is doing better. Haven't been able to get on my computer tha past couple nights due to bad weather, so have just had to get updates from mom, but is is nice to read it from your and Lori's point of view. Give your mom a big squeeze from me please, I have been so worried, as have been many. BTW, happy to hear the baby is a healthy one, wait till he wakes you up in the middle of the night cause he's kicking so much, wanting to "play". The puppy is so cute, boy or girl? Name?
Cousin Shawn

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your mom is doing better. Hope you are continuing to do well with all this going on!

Jen and Ryan said...

Shawn, the puppy is a little boy named Toby. Amanda said the other day that she thinks he is potty trained already!